Monday, September 27, 2021

John, Joe and Jim Manning

My friend at Vintage Muscle Men recently posted the first photo in this series and correctly identified him as John Manning but did not know the name of the photographer.  

I also posted this photo a while back and my guess then was it's from Dave Martin, but I wasn't sure.  So today I went on a search to compare my photos of John Manning when he posed for various photographers on the west coast. 

After hours of research (😉) I think I may have a better idea of who did this one.  As I'll explain in this post I have a hunch this may be from photographer Lyle Frisby.  



The next two photos are John Manning (right) and his younger brother Jim.  (There was a third even younger brother named Joe whom I will reference later in this post.)  Both of these photographs are obviously from the same photographer and I have several confirmations they are from Lyle Frisby.  



I've also previously posted the next two photos of John and attributed them to Bruce of LA.  I have several confirmations that they are actually from Mr. Frisby. 



The next photo is once again John and his brother Jim and I'm going with Lyle Frisby.  I love the tan lines on these guys. 



Now here's a great photo of Jim Manning and I'm tempted to say it's from Frisby.  I can't find any attribute for this one.  I'm also tempted to say Pat Milo, since I know John posed for him and this one has a sort of Milo feel to it.  I will say Jim looks damn good in this photo.  



Here's a photo of Jim that I know is from Bruce of LA.  Jim looks like the cat who ate the canary.  And for you size queens out there (I'm raising my hand) Jim should definitely appeal to many of you.  


I couldn't resist posting the next photo.  It's from Bruce of LA and IMO it has many things going for it.  


Here's one I used as a screensaver for a few months last year.  It's John on the left with brother Jim in a similar position. (I assume they were studying for the LSAT.)  Once again, I'm going with Frisby.  

I remember the first time I saw this one.  I thought, "Well, they may not be twin bros, but they definitely had a remarkable resemblance."



And finally we move on to Joe Manning.  To my knowledge he only posed for AMG and did just four films -- two of them with his brothers.  Here he is with everyone's favorite bad boy, Bob Wilson (right) in the film The Trespasser.  

I would say Joe was the most conventionally handsome of the three bros.  He never did any nude work at AMG, so I can't say he was as blessed as John and Jim.  But, like his older brothers, he sure could pack a posing pouch. 


10 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great series, Jim. Thanks. The Manning Bros are among my favourites. I like their apparently casual attitude toward being naked. I like their untrimmed bushes...and their untrimmed peters, too,come to think of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, James, for the great series expanding your comment on my blog! (And thanks for the mention, too.) Lyle Frisby is one of those tragic characters in physique photography, having died in 1958 at age 29 of leukemia exacerbated by harsh treatment in prison following an obscenity arrest. So that would date his photos of the Mannings as having been taken in or before '58. Some of his work was not printed or published until quite some time after his death, however, by his friend and business partner (also lover?) Pat Milo. I think that has led to some confusion as to who did what, particularly since both photographers worked with one or more of the brothers. I marvel at your diligent research. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea Lyle had such a tragically short life. And the association with Milo makes sense. Now I understand why the photos were sometimes attributed to Milo.

      Thanks!

      Delete
  4. I find it so incredibly awesome that these images exist and come from a time that Tom Brokaw once discribed as "An era conspicuous for its dullnes, where America celebrated its conventions and institutions in an exagerated way. America took itself very seriously". Brokaw said that in a documentary on Nichols & May and how the comedy duo broke new ground in a stodgy era.

    But elsewhere at that time photographers were documenting beautifully free men like these handsome brothers that could be completely nude and fully aroused near one another. Amazing. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoined the photos. Thanks for writing.

      Delete
    2. JOHN MANNING was married 4 times and had 30 children. He passed away in the 1990s and his Brother Jim died in 2001. JOE the youngest is still alive and lives in Oregon. The Manning Brothers were true Native Americans.! They were Hunkpappa and Oglala Lakota Tribe, from Sitting Bulls band. in Standing Rock South Dakota.

      Delete
  5. JOE MANNING was the youngest of the Manning Brothers. He is the only surviving Manning Brother today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I guess big cocks run in this family! Especially love the boxer pic!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm guessing the Manning boys were quite popular growing up in their neighborhood...

    ReplyDelete